Note: Editing is NOT the last stop before publishing!
Editing services include one round of changes to your manuscript.
Following publishing industry standards, I use The Chicago Manual of Style and The Merriam-Webster Dictionary as reference guides.
I accept Microsoft Word files. I use the Track Changes feature for editing and the Comments feature for additional suggestions or questions. No changes are made to the manuscript without your review or approval.
I strongly suggest authors consider scheduling both editing services. Copyediting is an in-depth review and could require extensive rewrites. After the author has reviewed the edited version, revising and rewriting where needed, the manuscript should then be proofread to ensure grammar, flow, and consistency are still correct. Using both services can only help to nearly perfect* your manuscript before publishing.
*Please understand that no book is ever perfect. While I try my best to take care of an author’s work, final responsibility belongs to the author. All authors are strongly encouraged to thoroughly review the final manuscript before publishing.
How does the story flow? Is there variety? Are you using words correctly? Do you avoid repetition? Are you being consistent? If not, then I brainstorm and provide suggestions for your consideration.
In addition to correcting grammar (including spelling and punctuation), typographical errors, and formatting inconsistencies, editing also involves the following:
- Character Development: Does the dialogue, voice/tone, and point of view help the story move along?
- Clarity: Overall, is your story clear? Will your readers be able to follow along without pausing in confusion?
- Consistency: Are words, phrases, names, references, grammar, and so on consistent throughout the story?
- Fact-checking: Are factual references correct? Are you using the correct terminology? Examples: Is the musician’s name, album, or song correct? Does the car model exist, or is the mechanical problem described accurate?
- Flow: Does each phrase, sentence, dialogue, paragraph, or scene easily flow or make sense? Are you providing transitions between changing scenes?
- Sentence Structure: Are you providing a variety of sentence structures to give the story more depth?
- Tense: Are you using the correct verb tense consistently throughout the story?
- Word choice: Are you avoiding repetition and providing a variety of words to keep the story fresh?
Website Content Editing
Terms and Conditions
Author is hiring Jovana Shirley (Editor) to review submitted work. Author has agreed to pay total amounts due on original manuscript(s) submitted to Editor. A $75 nonrefundable deposit per manuscript per service is due to reserve time in schedule and will be applied to final payment. A nonrefundable estimated half of total amount is due when the manuscript is turned over to Editor before Editor starts work. A nonrefundable final payment is due upon conclusion of the Editor’s work before revised manuscript is returned to Author.
To reschedule turnover date, Author agrees to provide at least one month’s notice before the scheduled date. Editor will accommodate Author according to Editor’s schedule at the time of notice.
If less than one month’s notice is given, then Author has two options.
- Forfeit the previously paid deposit and pay new deposit for a future date.
- Transfer the deposit and pay half of the estimated total amount due to hold the rescheduled date. This amount will be applied to the final amount due at the time of invoicing when the manuscript is turned over.
If Author does not reschedule or no manuscript is submitted by turnover date, Author forfeits deposits, and they cannot be applied to services scheduled in the future.
Author understands that no manuscript is ever perfect. While the Editor does her best to take care of an Author’s work, Author is strongly encouraged to thoroughly review the final manuscript before publishing. Final responsibility belongs solely to Author. Editor takes no responsibility and accepts no liability for damages or costs caused by any errors left in the manuscript.
Author agrees to credit Editor on the copyright page, including Editor’s personal and business name with website address. Any images created by Editor are copyrighted to Editor and cannot be reused without Editor’s written permission. Author agrees to send Editor the published book in electronic or print version.
With the exception of promoting Author and books on the Editor’s social sites and website, Editor agrees not to disclose anything read or learned to any other person or for any personal gain, pecuniary or otherwise, before the book publishes or without prior permission from Author.
A nonrefundable paid deposit also serves as the Author’s agreement to these terms and conditions.
All payments are nonrefundable.
(A printable JPEG or PDF with these terms and conditions will be provided to the Author upon scheduling work.)